Are you attracting the wrong people with your online profile or just hearing crickets?
Most people make the same mistakes over and over again in their online profiles. They make generic comments about themselves like:
- “I am funny.”
- “I love dogs.”
- “I like to travel.”
Don’t make someone fall asleep while reading about you. What do you want to make your ideal partner think or feel about you? You want to stand out! The first step is to spend some time thinking about who your ideal partner is going to be attracted to. Check out your “packaging” and compare it to what you imagine your dream partner is looking for. Your packaging is your sense of style, the way your clothes fit your body, your hair, and your makeup. This also includes your attitude. In your photos, you want to smile and make sure that you come across as approachable.
When you get to the writing portion of the profile, there is a fine line. Don’t give so much away that you don’t have anything left to share on a first date. Pro Tip: Ask two close friends to each write a paragraph about you. You will likely be pleasantly surprised by what they have to say. Here are our top 5 strategies for writing a magnetic profile.
Create a funny and catchy username
This is going to be your first opportunity to create the “wow” factor. Make sure that you stand out. Angela5411 doesn’t quite do the trick. Here are some fun examples:
You want to pick a headline that sums up what you are passionate about in just a few words or shows a unique and attractive part of your personality such as your sense of humor, positivity, or energy. Here are some examples:
- Are you the best thing that ever happened to me?
- We will fall in love by chance, we will stay in love by choice
- Feel the fear and do it anyway
- The best way to predict the future is to create it
- Nothing worth having comes easy
Here are the kinds of photos to avoid at all costs:
- Shower selfies No explanation needed.
- Pics with friends Do you really want to be compared to the other people in the photo with you?
- Photos with Sunglasses Most people will assume that you are hiding something if you only have photos of you with sunglasses.
- Unflattering photos Just because you don’t put up your worst photo of you doesn’t mean that you are being inauthentic.
The goal is to put up a minimum of 3-5 good quality photos of you that showcase who you are. We recommend at least one up close photo, one full body, and one more informal shot showing you doing something you love.
If you don’t get professional photos, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Often times people share with us that the idea of doing a photo shoot feels inauthentic or “fake”. As experts, we remind clients that having great photos of you is the best way to make a phenomenal first impression.
Don’t make statements about yourself, tell stories
There is no better way to show someone how much you love to travel and how adventurous you are than by eluding to a fun traveling story. Here are some examples of ways you can make someone want to know more about you:
- “When we meet, don’t forget to ask me about Machu Picchu.”
- “There was this one time in Bali where…(I will tell you the rest when I see you).”
- “New Orleans is my favorite place to visit because the jazz gets me all the way down to my bones.”
Be personally revealing without being bitter or depressing
Here is an example of what NOT to say in your online profile:
- “I am tired of meeting the wrong guys. I hope there is one good man left on this earth and that it is you.”
- “Don’t contact me unless you are looking for marriage.”
Yikes! You could try something along these lines instead:
- “My glass is always half full. I get inspired by….”
- “The perfect guy for me is funny, charming, active, loyal and spontaneous.”
Now you have the perfect recipe for making your profile magnetic to your ideal partner. Get out there! Get your photo shoot done and watch the changes in who is reaching out to you.
If you want more tips on how to find love once and for all, go to datetosoulmate.com and download our free Date to Soul Mate Guide.