Butterflies in the stomach are understandable when you take your online romance offline for the first time. Your online crush is likely to be as nervous as you are, so the best first date ideas take the pressure off by providing something to do while you’re getting to know each other. First dates are more likely to be successful – and lead to a second date — if you keep the atmosphere and activity relaxed, informal and on the low-key side.
Hopefully, you’ve already played 20 questions online so you have some idea what your date might enjoy. While most of the first date ideas below have universal appeal, some are better suited to people who share specific interests. If in doubt, offer your date a choice of two activities.
- Bowling is a great low-stress date. No real skill is required to enjoy some laughs and a little friendly competition over pizza and beer. Miniature golf, roller skating and ice skating are other options.
- Aquariums and zoos are great places to walk and chat.
- Art Gallery hops make great first dates. Sip some wine, check out a few galleries, do a little people watching – you’ll have fun even if art’s not your thing.
- Go to a local festival, carnival or county fair. Ride a few rides, eat some corndogs and take aim at the shooting gallery.
- If you have dogs, bond while you take your pups for a walk in the park or a local beach.
- Visit a pumpkin farm and lose yourselves in the corn maze. Pick out the perfect carving pumpkin, providing a great activity for date #2!
- Go to an arcade and spend the evening playing foosball, skeeball and pool.
Do you have a go-to first date idea? Tell us about your most successful first date.