If you’re a single parent dating can be hard, but online dating can make it so much easier.
Online dating sites give you the opportunity to meet many more people than you’d ever have the opportunity to meet rushing from the day care center to work to the grocery to your child’s gymnastics lesson. Time is one thing single parents never have enough of. For the busy single parent dating can now fit into your busy life after you put your child/ children to bed.
Dating online makes it easier to fit dating into your hectic schedule – and you should. When you’re a single parent, it’s easy to get lost in your children’s schedules and needs. But it’s important to remember that you are also an individual with needs of your own and deserve to have an adult life away from your children.
Don’t let fear or guilt keep you from dating. Sure, it’s difficult to tell your children you’re going to go out with someone who isn’t mommy or daddy. But part of being a healthy role model for your children is showing your children how to be a strong adult and demonstrating how parents balance personal needs with child-rearing responsibilities. Preparing your children well before you actually start dating will lessen their anxiety. Talk about feeling lonely and needing friends your own age. Children can understand this. It may be difficult for them to adjust to your dating, but they want their parents to be happy and will adjust in time.
Before you start dating online, you have to know what you’re looking for. For any single parent dating someone new can be daunting, so be honest with yourself. Are you looking for fun and an occasional escape from the demands of parenting? Are you looking for a fling with no-strings sex? Are you looking for romance? Are you looking for a new life partner? Knowing what you want will help you choose online daters who are looking for the same thing.
Dating as a single parent can be hard. If you have not dated much since becoming a single parent but would really like to re-enter the dating scene; online dating can help you meet and set up dates so you don’t have to spend a lot of time away from your family. This will give you the opportunity to set up an online dating profile that reflects you. Plus, you can take some great online dating photos and not have to get dressed up over and over again to go out with the hopes of meeting someone new.
Some experts advise keeping your dating life separate from your life with your child(ren). Here are some things to consider:
- You can meet dates for the first time during your lunch hour or when your ex takes the children.
- Discuss the details of your dating life with your friends, not your children. If the subject comes up, talk about it in an age-appropriate way. Be honest: you don’t have to pretend that someone you are dating is a relative or colleague.
- There is no need to hide the fact that you have children, but if you discuss them too much, a date may think that you are looking for a co-parent and not trying to establish a romantic relationship with another adult.
- When you decided it is time to introduce a date to your children, don’t try to force them to bond. You can go out with your date rather than have them visit your home if you think a shared activity would make the first meeting less stressful.
- Don’t feel guilty about your desire to date or think that you must devote all of your time to your children. Happy parents have better relationships with their children. You deserve companionship.